There are many moments in life when having wholesome baked goods on hand would be helpful, but one can’t just carry around a cake. These melt-in-your-mouth carrot cake muffins have all the flavour, spice and decadence of their larger counterparts in an at-the-ready size for bribes, meltdowns and pick-me-ups.
Gluten free, dairy free, refined sugar free, vegan
What you'll need:
Carrot Cake Muffins
- Hill St Wholefoods Banana Bread mix
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs (or flax egg)
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 cup grated carrot (1-2 carrots)
- 1/2 cup crushed pineapple with juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Cream Cheese Lemon Icing
- 1/2 cup cream cheese
- 1 1/2 cups sifted icing sugar
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
For a vegan option replace the cream cheese with 1/4 cup plain coconut yoghurt and 1/4 cup vegan butter or solid coconut oil.
- Pre-heat oven to 180 degrees fan bake. In a bowl, combine the Hill St Banana Bread mix, cinnamon, mixed spice and baking powder.
- In a separate bowl whisk the eggs and oil together. Mix in the pineapple and grated carrot.
- Fold the wet mixture into the dry mixture. Add in the raisins and chopped walnut pieces and fold into the batter.
- Put 12 muffin cases into muffin trays and spoon mixture into the cases.
- Fan bake for 25 minutes.
- Icing: beat all icing ingredients together with an electric beater until smooth. Once cooled, top the muffins with lemon frosting or enjoy them as they are.